Wednesday, January 25, 2017

The Owl

I have an owl. I am not sure of the species, but it is big. It looks to be about 18 to 20 inches tall. I have been seeing it out in front of the house at night. Every time I have seen the owl, it has been on the ground and seemed to be looking at me through the front door window. I suppose it's catching voles and mice in the front yard, but it never looks like its eating anything.

I am not generally superstitious, but birds of prey have always worried me for some reason. They creep me out; most especially owls. Owls are so silent. The first night I saw him in the yard, I went out to look. It flew directly toward me and then up to a tree branch that hangs over the house. He was way too familiar. He seemed to have no fear of me and was just waiting for me to go inside again.

I looked into owl mythology. I thought it might be a sign. The symbology for owls is all over the board. The owl was the chosen symbol of the Greek goddess, Athena. In Greek mythology, the owl represented wisdom and prophecy. In later European lore, the owl was a symbol of death, darkness or transition. Among Native American tribes, owl symbolism is divided between all those. In Christian mythology, the owl represents evil and the evil spiritual world.

I don't know. I do know that this owl is really creepy. Kind of freaks me out. He looks right at me. It's like he knows me and wants to tell me something.

This looks like him. A Barred Owl. I will check again tonight. I'm sure he will be back. He seems to be my creepy friend now. Maybe I can get a pic with my phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Gentle.