Sunday, January 15, 2017

The Annual Meeting....An Opinion

I went to the annual meeting at church this afternoon. It was really boring....for me. I seem to have an entirely different view of what church should be about than everyone else. I think it's because I am single. Probably is. Church today is geared toward families. I am obviously not concerned about the future of the church for my kids or my grand-kids, but that might be because I don't have any.

My thoughts about church finance, what programs will be available, whether or not the mortgage is paid and what we do with offerings big and small does not matter to me.

In my thought process, I have come to believe that if the Lord wants the church to continue, it will. It has nothing to do with money or programs or kids or families. It has to do with faith. As long as faith and love are alive and well in a church, Jesus will not extinguish their lamp. This is why I think the doors have remained open at my church since 1856. I am of the opinion that they will remain open for this reason alone. We may not always have enormous facilities and real estate to boast about, but it is a place where people can learn what Jesus has to offer. This is a good thing.

There was a concern about the disconnect between church and how we really all live at home and in the world. This is a centuries old problem. The church gives all who attend a working knowledge of the faith and truth, but it cannot impart faith. That must come from other sources. Some say it must come at home. I do not disagree with this. It helps the process. If what is learned at church is practiced at home and in life in the outside world, there will most likely be a life consistency to our faith.

Many are lost to the world during the college years. My thought is that it might have something to do with home life and again it might not. We all have learning curves. Those that left home and family and did not reconnect with another church are not necessarily lost to the faith forever. It is my contention and personal experience that we find our way back in one way or another. If the seeds of faith are there, we will eventually come back through the creation of a faith of our own.

No amount of self help books or Home Pointe recipe cards is going to change that. Those things do allow church leadership to pass the buck and say 'we gave you the resources. If you failed, it's your fault'. But those things alone will not engender a lasting, lifelong faith.

Really. All that is up to God is it not? He will ensure that none of those he has chosen will escape his grasp. Like churches, God saves the ones he knows have faith and love. He has their entire life to do this and sometimes it takes that long.

God takes our initial spark of faith, trust and love and he does stuff with it throughout our lifetimes that we do not see until we come close to the end. That's how badly He wants to save us. That is my perspective at almost 60 years of age. You might think something else. I'm good with that. But you know I never think I'm wrong, so just give it up. OK?

On last thing. Apparently the elders are spending their time praying for the congregation which is a good thing, but then they intend to go out two by two and visit us all in our homes announced or otherwise.

Nope. Not gonna do it. Stop by if you want. I will not be coming to the door. If I want company, I will issue invitations. My time at home is my own. If I want to share, I will....right now I do not. I will get back to you if that changes. I live back from the road near the woods. I like to walk around the house naked with loud music blaring (there's a warning :^) I really do not think that you want to share that time with me.

It was suggested by someone that refusing an elder visit meant that I have something to hide.

I do have many things that I hide. You will not discover what they are by coming to my house. The Lord knows what they are, but He's not talking either.

So get over it. Put me on the 'do not call' list.

It is the height of rudeness to invite yourself to some one's house, even if you announce that is your plan. It is way out of line. I do not even go to a friend or relatives house unless I am invited. It is in bad taste.

Again, please put me on the 'do not call' list.

It might even be a reason people leave the church. Just sayin.            

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jeff, I agree that I do not wish to have unannounced visits. I made that point to the staff and they said they would not do an unannounced visit to my home. By the way, your Cornish hens and new potatoes sound great! I will have to try. I have been making a lot of roasted vegetables (carrots, onion, potatoes, sweet potatoes all mixed together) with kosher salt and olive oil. Delicious! Have a good day, Jeff.

    ReplyDelete

Be Gentle.