Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Guinness Nitro IPA

For the past few months I have been exploring IPA's. For the uninitiated, these are India Pale Ales...yes, a sort of beer. I like beer. I always have. Someone said to me, "beer is an acquired taste that I will never acquire." Obviously a teetotaler. I loved the first one I ever had. I remember where I was when I had it. I was in a pasture by a dry creek bed north of Abilene, Texas in 1977. The beer was a Miller High Life.

My friend, the teetotaler, says he drinks Pepsi. Really, Pepsi? It's very unhealthy. It's right up there with Coke. The acid eats away at your teeth and the sugar grows the belly fat faster than a beer. But I digress.

As I said, I have been exploring IPA's. I found the perfect one..in my opinion. I find that I love Guinness Nitro IPA.
It is smooth. The hoppy bitterness is gone; muted by the toasted malt that is traditional at Guinness and also by the nitro widget that Guinness lovingly places in every can. Did I say it was smooth? The nitro widget releases nitrogen into the beer when the can is opened. The bubbles are microscopic and they actually appear to move downward as the IPA is poured into a frosted glass. The small head is typical of Guinness products and while I love Guinness stout, this IPA is to die for. Did I say it was smooth?  It also has a lower alcohol content than most other IPA's. At 5.8%, this means I can have two with dinner. It is delicious. Did I mention the smoothness?

At ten bucks for a six pack, it's a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Some day I will have to go to Ireland and visit the creator. Arthur Guinness founded the St. James' Gate Brewery in 1759 in Dublin. The products continue to be of high quality in the 21st century.

I love it. I find it's very smooth and silky. I may have mentioned that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Gentle.