Thursday, December 15, 2016

Dennis Update

I am not encouraged by what I saw today at Parkridge. Yesterday he was standing for a few seconds in physical therapy...he did it 3 times. Today I found him in bed and zonked out at about the same time. I spoke with the nurse. She says he will not eat much, drinks very little water and is getting dehydrated. I have seen this my self. And when you offer to help him eat or drink, he says he will do it himself and then never does. He has also developed a sore on his backside from sitting in a wheel chair too much.  He had a bed sore when he was in the hospital, but that one has healed up.

He has also been asking me about Gramps...his dad and my grandfather. He passed in 2000. I remind him that Gramps is gone and he says, "I always forget that". Today when I reminded him, he said he missed him so much. My thought is "ya, who doesn't"

They got him out of bed while I was there and he was a bit agitated about the whole thing. A bit combative. He grabbed one of the aides by the throat. This is not good. Parkridge will kick him out if he starts doing that on a regular basis. The alternative is an Alzheimer's lock up in a different place. I hate the idea of moving him again. The last thing I told him was, "do what the nurses tell you to do". He said he would try. Obedience is not his strong suit. I understand now where I get it from.

Seeing him like this makes me realize more and more just how much I love him. There were a number of years during our lives together where that might have been in question for both of us. He was not the perfect father, and I was definitely not the perfect son.

I am glad we had this time in our lives together. It has been good for both of us. And Gramps is waiting for us on the other side. Yip. That's a good thing. I think sometimes, we try too hard to hang on to what we have here. I wonder if Dad is trying to let go of it and we just are not listening to him.

Lord, I'm never sure what you are thinking or what your plan is. I live in the here and now and you can see hither and beyond. Please help him to make a decision. If he wants to stay, then help him please to punch through the dementia fog and fight the pain. Help him to follow his physical therapy regimen and get up. Help him to walk again, even if it's with a walker. And Lord, if he wants to let go, help him with that too. If this is the plan, please take him quickly and with minimal suffering. Set him free. Perhaps I cry out for my sake because I hate to see him this way. I have no clue what you are doing with his spirit. If he needs some time, you would know that better than I. He never shares much of that sort of thing with me. Whatever happens, please bless him while he is here with us. Bend his spirit to yours. Let him dream of Gramps. In Your Name Lord, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Gentle.