Friday, October 21, 2016

Contemplating The Future


Thinking about the future and making plans at my age is a little dicey. My maternal grandfather was diagnosed with a brain tumor when he was my age. He died a few months later, just days before he was supposed to turn 60. One never knows what the future holds. It is important to keep things in order in the happenstance that the Lord calls early. I know that in some cultures, 60 is not early. I live in Iowa where 80 and 90 are fairly common ages to shuffle off the mortal coil. I would like to stay at least that long and in my right mind, fully mobile. That combination is not always a possibility.

Someone asked me what I wanted to do after retirement. I hadn't thought about it much because, given my current circumstances, I cannot go anywhere without an old man, my father, in tow. He is my current reminder that retirement can be a bummer. Alzheimer's eats away at the brain and robs him of life in a slow fashion as opposed to Grandpa's brain tumor which took its toll quickly.

Even so, as us humans are prone to do, I fantasize about the potential free time that could be in my grasp, given the right combination of circumstances. There is stuff I think I want to do. It would be more fun if someone went with me probably or joined me for portions of the final event - my last years, but it will most likely just be me. It usually is.

I've been taking a few vacation days, cleaning out the gardens at home in preparation for the spring of 2017. As I work, my mind has been constructing this sort of final vacation. It would take at least a year. I would explore the American west on wheels. I would start in the spring of 20--. I would take the northern route up to Minnesota, on to the Dakotas, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington. I might stay in Washington awhile and get some meds for my "arthritis" :) , then south to Oregon and California where more meds might be required. I would also try to do some fishing in all these places. I would not take a boat. If I needed one, I would rent it for a few days.

After California, Arizona and Nevada (home of Area 51) would be next. I would take in that great scar in the earth, the Grand Canyon and I would begin pursuit of my hobby...UFO spotting. I will be looking for intensity, close ups and close encounters. I want to know what these things really are. As a conspiracy theorist, I tend to believe these are government projects. I also think there is a secret space program that is advanced and designed to take the elite off planet when the feces hit the oscillating wind device here on earth. I want to find evidence.

Next stop - New Mexico. UFO Alley. I may be there awhile. If you have never read of the adventures of Paul Bennowitz in Albuquerque, you have missed something mysterious in the extreme. He lived in an Albuquerque suburb on the edge of Kirtland Air Force Base and the things he saw and where those things took him is beyond imagination. If you wish to receive 'enlightenment', let me suggest "Project Beta" by Greg Bishop, "Dulce Base" by Greg Valdez, and as an adjunct, "UFO's and The National Security State" by Richard Dolan. I want to go to the places that Paul Bennowitz went to. I would really like to see the things he witnessed. I am just too nosey. I'm the guy that always has to look and has to ask the uncomfortable questions. I'm going to need a tin foil hat.

After New Mexico, I think I will winter in southern Colorado; rent an apartment or something in Manitou Springs or nearby, and relax into the vapor of some more arthritis medicine. My pain is always worse in the winter. There is also UFO activity in the that area. Many of the thousands of cattle mutilations in the early 70's occurred in these environs. I want to see where...of course.

In the spring I would move out through Kansas to Missouri, fishing all the way. I would stop in Joplin to see Eric and Melissa and Kim and Neil. Then north and home for a visit home. Next stop, Greece, Italy, France, Germany and Ireland...but that will be for another blog post.

One more thing. During my US tour, I intend to go to seed. I will not cut my hair or shave. I will get my right ear pierced and my back tattooed. My earring will be a simple gold ring with a small feather dangling from it. The tattoo emblazoned across my shoulder blades will say "Bond Servant" in Hebrew (from left to right of course). I want to let my white hair grow down to the middle of my back. I want to die a hippie.

I know all that seems hypocritical given my recent criticism of body piercing and marking, but that grew more out of jealousy of the freedom others are currently enjoying. After all, what are few more purposeful injuries to my nearly worn out body going to matter. It will all decay in the grave anyway. I'm going to get a new one when it's all said and done.

My Friday coffee / Sunday church friend, Geoff, suggested I do this now. I could load up my Alzheimer's addled father and Oliver the dog and we could take off in pursuit of other worldly craft. Dad meets ET.  Maybe the 'Greys' have a cure for Alzheimer's. It might make a good book or even a movie. Even if I made it all up; I'm pretty good at creating my own reality. It might be a hoot. Wanna go? I mean, if Dad and the dog are out of the picture, do you want to go with me? I know. I'm an acquired taste. If it doesn't work out, I could drop you at the closest airport.

I need an adventure. This requires more thought. I should do it....maybe. We will see what develops.
     

1 comment:

  1. I hope you can make your dreams come true, Jeff. Sounds like a lot of fun! I have been intrigued by UFOs myself - never saw one, but my aunt and uncle did. They lived on a farm and they saw it shining very brightly and apparently pretty close up out their window. They didn't like to talk about it though.

    ReplyDelete

Be Gentle.