Wednesday, March 22, 2017

News of the Week in Review...and it's only Wednesday

Hi...I think I told you I have been sick. I went to the doctor yesterday. I got some meds (Z-pack, steroids, inhaler) and some blood tests done. I got the test results this morning. I have an unusual cold virus that, left untreated, can cause pneumonia (which is bacterial). So, I continue with the meds until finished and see what happens. They also did a liver panel and kidney panel (BUN). Apparently my liver is fine. Considering the abuse it's endured over the years, I am quite pleased by that. My creatine levels were a bit above normal, but this may be a function of the cold virus. Being sick messes with your kidneys. They have trouble keeping up with the waste materials in the blood from the sickness, meds as well as the usual day to day garbage. I also eat a fairly high protein diet and I have hypertension and I'm sure that plays into it too. Whatever. I'm almost 60 years old. My warranty is up. Stuff is going to start to fall apart. Getting old is an adventure in creeky joints, sore muscles, ailing organs and interesting bodily secretions and mental delusions.

In other news, I found a life insurance policy on Dad that my uncle had sold. I had him check it out just in case there was some unclaimed cash there. I was not hopeful because I knew from the documentation I have that Mom had quite paying on it in 2006. It's good that I did this. It turns out that after Mom quit paying the premiums, the insurance company started using the cash value of the policy to make the payments. The policy is still active. I have to get in touch with them today to see what's left. My point here is never assume. I came very close to throwing out the policy because I assumed it was inactive. Check out stuff like this. It's important. I'm hoping to come up with a tidy sum of something untaxable. I will report back when I have a figure.

I learned this week that I will have to probate Dad's will. It's the only way to get the house in my name and the cars as well. The attorney says it's a 4 month process. I also have to get a piece of paper for the accountant from the attorney stating that I am the executor of the estate so he can file Dad's taxes. I think the truth is that lawyers and accountants run the world. It's not the guys at the top, it's the ones in the middle. They could bring everything crashing down around our ears if they wanted to and no one could do anything about it.

OK. Now I have to do my taxes and call Minnesota Life or whatever they are called now...I think it's Securian Financial Group. Wish me luck or blessings or whatever you believe in. Fate maybe? That sounds too final. This year has been a real adventure in living. I like it to last a bit longer. Later.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Gentle.