Thursday, March 30, 2017

Living in Retirement

I received my first retirement card today. Thanks Judy for that. I appreciate all the things that you said and I want you to know that I am not retiring from church or my obligations to friends, family and my brothers and sisters in Christ. I will not do that. And, Lord willing, I have enough to keep me busy here with the house and property for at least two years. Even so, I will stay here though I might move to other smaller quarters simply because I am getting old and there is no one to help me as I helped Dad. I guess that might be considered my fault. Maybe. Maybe not. Whatever.

I had a conversation with a trusted friend over coffee earlier this week. He suggested I travel or do what I wanted to do and even take someone with me. Again, I appreciate the sentiment, but that is not likely.

My personality is such that I cannot stand to be with the same person for any length of time. I am just too hard to deal with in any extended way. It is true that I could change or shut up, but then I would cease to be me. I will always be the angry prophet crying my truth. It just does not sit well over time with most folks. Even the people that love me, can't really take me for more than four hours at a stretch. One of my friends once said that I was like fine sand paper; I just slowly wear them away.

So friends, I am not going anywhere. My church and my family and what few friends I have are stuck with me for whatever time remains to me, after which I will become the plague of heaven. I will do my best not to get on your nerves or cause too much trouble, but y'all are stuck with me until you put my ashes to rest in Rising Sun Cemetery.

That reminds me; I have to buy a head stone and make arrangements. No funeral is planned. There will just be a few of friends called together for a quick graveside. Not sure I will even have them notify the family. When all is said and done, I would like it to be as if I had never been here.

We will see how that works. I'm not sure, but I get the impression it could happen very soon. I don't think I have anything left to do that really matters. The Lord is going to have to show me if there is. I will stay till He comes back if that's what He wants. Not a problem, but not likely to happen.

Later friends. I love you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Gentle.