Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Doc, It Hurts When I Do That

You might remember that I've been sick. Well, I'm mostly better, except when I lay down. My sinuses are still draining and it makes me cough. The coughing has made my abdominal muscles sore, particularly the top right one just below my rib cage. The result is that I can't sleep. I woke up coughing at 2:30 AM and I could not go back to sleep and my abs were in spasm. So  I got up carefully and went in to the bathroom to fill the tub with very hot water. I turned on the jets and got in and it gave me some relief from the pain and the sinus dripping. I got some sleep too; yes, in the tub. I woke up about 5:30 fully pruned and ready to go...somewhere, then I remembered I had to meet Steve at Caribou this morning, so I got dressed and came over early.

My abdomen is still quite sore. It feels like there might actually be a herniation. I am going to have to go back to the doctor. I really hate that, but I have to get rid of this pain right?

In other news, I'm also hoping the attorney will call today to say my letter of appointment as Dad's executor is ready to go. I need to set up estate accounts and get the names changed on all his vehicles and boats and trailer and....you get my drift. Probate is going to ruin my first summer in retirement.

I also got the paperwork from Minnesota Life on Saturday to file a claim on Dad's policy. There was one page to fill out and I had to send copies of Mom and Dad's death certificates. I mailed it all on Saturday. I hope to hear something soon. The attorney seemed to think there could be quite a bit of money, even though Mom quit paying on it in 2006. I'm not sure how that all works. I've never had a whole life policy.

I'm back at work this week. I've been chiseling away at getting my retirement stuff done. I still need to find health insurance. I may go with what I have now. That's an option. It will probably be expensive, but at least I will know all the details. I can shop later for something less expensive if need be. Right now, I'm trying to get as much medical stuff done as possible so I do not have to pay for it. I have an eye appointment next week and I'm going to try and squeeze in a colonoscopy before May 1. I will need a driver for that one. Purge and probe. It's like having a garden hose up your butt, but you get to sleep through it while they look at the inside of your large intestine on TV. Why am I worried about ending up on YouTube?

I also have to make arrangements to roll over my 401K and sell my UPS stock. Then there is the matter of my pension with the company I used to work for. I will need to file with them. I think I will delay any payments until I'm 65. That's what I'm doing with my UPS pension.

Lots to do. Time is short. April might be messy.

My life has just been in total upheaval since December 1. I will be glad when the paperwork part of this transition is over. I still have to clear out my condo and get it sold and I have to start the repairs on my new residence And then there is lawn mowing. This has never been part of my life. Now I have six acres.

The joke will really be on me though if I get all this done and then die.

My heirs are smiling. I can feel it from here.

Note to self...watch your back :^)  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jeff, Best wishes as you go through the paperwork. Don't stress; it's not a sprint; you can take your time. Regarding health insurance, you probably should continue with what you have if that's an option. Otherwise, you can go to healthcare.gov and see what the options are - and they aren't pretty. We had to do that and we pay about $1500 per month (for two people) and have per person deductibles of $6000 each. The only coverage on that website that's "better" (smaller deductible) costs $2200 per month. Thanks, Obamacare. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeff, probate sucks... It's just the plain truth...Once u understand that it gets easier.
    If u need a driver for your test I can do that...Just let me know.
    I can also bring our truck over to the condo...If another pick up could help.
    If you have yard questions...Bob might be able to help.
    Ok ...Later,deb

    ReplyDelete

Be Gentle.