Thursday, October 19, 2017

The Mosquito In My Eye and The Week So Far

Monday was boring. The most exciting thing I did was to get the oil changed in my truck and the right head light replaced.

Tuesday was a bit more exciting. I woke up to this huge floater inside my right eye. At first I thought it might be something on the outside surface. I rinsed it for awhile under the kitchen faucet. The rinsing had no effect. The floater remained.

If I had to describe it, I would say it looked like a mosquito hovering just up and to the right of my right eye. Sometimes it looks like a very thin legged spider as it moves down to my central field of vision. It does this when I am reading. It's all very annoying and scary, especially when I consider that my eye doctor told me I was a good candidate for closed angle glaucoma. I wondered if maybe a portion of my retina had become detached.

So I got in to see my eye doctor Tuesday afternoon. He checked my eye pressure first. It was normal in both eyes; no closed angle glaucoma, yea! He then dilated my eyes, pulled over his scope and had a look at my retina and optic nerve. Both retinas were normal...again, yea! Then he managed to isolate the floater in my right eye and studied it. He determined that the vitreous humor had sloughed off a bit 'skin' (for lack of a better term) back by the place it connects with the optic disk. The vitreous humour (body) is the fluid in your eye between the lens and the retina.  Apparently, when we are younger, the vitreous humour is like gelatin that is set up. As we age, it becomes more the consistency of egg whites and sometimes the skin of the gelatin will break loose in they eye as the vitreous humour loses it's gelatinous quality. And so, we end up with floaters. The scientific terminology for these floaters was unknown to me until just now. WEB MD says this:

Most floaters are small flecks of a protein called collagen. They're part of a gel-like substance in the back of your eye called the vitreous. As you age, the protein fibers that make up the vitreous shrink down to little shreds that clump together. The shadows they cast on your retina are floaters.

It would seem that my floater, AKA collagen, is quite large, at least from my POV. So, I will visit my regular doctor on Monday to see if he can get me a referral to an opthamologist. I cannot live with this mosquito hovering around my right eye forever. The optometrist said that it would eventually ball up and become smaller and that my visual cortex would stop seeing it altogether, but I am doubting this diagnosis. It is still driving me nuts. If there is anything that can be done to fix it, I am going to do it.

On Wednesday I went fishing. Caught several small mouth bass, but no walleye. I went out to Panora. That's pretty much a day trip, but I enjoy it.  It's really beautiful there in the fall. Here are some pics.



 

Today I'm doing chores. I may get out the lawn sweeper later and pick up some leaves. As for Friday and Saturday, it remains to be seen. And Sunday...that's another story that I'm loathe to go into. I think I will leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Gentle.