Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Stink Bugs Popping on an Open Fire

I should write bylines for news websites. That title is click bait. It's Tuesday, October 10 and the temp is a bit brisk at  47 degrees. The rain and wind make it seem even colder. I have a fire going in the fire place. The blower is on and it's heating things right up in here.

A funny thing happened when I opened the flue. Stink bugs started dropping out of the chimney. I quickly built my fire and the stink bugs began to explode. It made me laugh. If you're a bug lover that practises ahimsa, you might be thinking I'm a unholy terror. You would be right. My war on stink bugs is just the beginning. I also proudly exterminate squirrels, opossums, raccoons and ground hogs, though not in the fireplace. So if I have triggered you, it might be time to go. I'm sure you're a lovely special snowflake that loves all God's creatures. I am not. Go now. Live long and prosper. Be warmed and filled. Sin no more.

Enough sarcasm. 

I have been negligent in posting and I do apologize. Little of import has happened, but I have had some fun fishing and going to movies and what not. I went to see 'IT' back in September in the theatre. Not as good as a book of course, but how can you get a book that's two inches thick into two hours of movie? You can't. They did do a good job relaying the tension of the book and they seem to have gotten the malevolent force in the movie correct, but they fell short in relaying the history of the town it takes place in and the development of the other major characters in film. They did manage to get the point of the book across however. We must overcome our most basic fears if we wish to grow up. Everything else was all pretty much a blur. I'm not sure I would have fully understood everything had I not read the book. Overall, it was enjoyable though. I understand there will be a part two. Here's to hoping it's better.   

Today I took advantage of discount Tuesday at Cinemark in Altoona. I went to see "Blade Runner 2049". It was very well done. Ryan Gosling was perfect for his part and Harrison Ford reprized his roll in most excellent fashion. I would advise you to watch the original "Blade Runner" if you wish to fully appreciate this one. I think it's available on Amazon Prime. At the risk of spoiling it, (stop here if you intend to watch the movie) replicants learn to reproduce. 'Nough said.

My fishing hole on the Des Moines River is now swamped in rising water thanks to the recent rainfall and the Corp of Engineers reluctance to retain said rain in the lake above the dam. So it will be awhile, maybe next summer before I will be able to get back there. They were releasing a lot of water. Maybe they are getting ready for winter. Not sure. Whatever the case, I caught some interesting fish last week. Maybe the fish were not so interesting, but the lure I used was unusual in some cases. All of the pictures below represent a two day period last week. I caught the fish on a rattle trap. If you do not know what that is, you are just not a fisherman. Usually you would catch bass on a rattle trap. I caught many things besides bass. Here you go.

Flathead Catfish


Walleye

Wiper
Small Mouth Bass

Carp Caught On a Rapala Tail Dancer



In all, it was a fun time. I think I will just sit here and reflect by the fire and sip my Strawberry Margarita. Not sure what's for supper yet. Maybe hamburgers on the George Foreman. These are tough decisions when one is retired. I could just order a pizza. Remains to be seen 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Gentle.