Friday, February 10, 2017

Oliver

As most of you know, Oliver, my Dad's dog has not been well. He suffers from a genetic disorder called Protein Losing Enteropathy. It causes him to have massive diarrhea, loss of protein from what he eats and water retention in the body cavity. There is no consistently effective treatment for it.

I have come to believe that he is suffering. He has no energy. He walks like an old dog. He will stand in the yard and just stare for long periods of time. His lively personality is completely gone. I cannot keep him clean due to the diarrhea and it has been happening in the house. He will come and get me to go out and he does not make it to the door.

After an email conversation with the vet on Thursday, we have both concluded that it would be best for Oliver to go and rejoin Dad. His condition will not improve; it's only going to get worse. Euthanasia, therefore, is the best option. I think he's ready. He just looks miserable.

So at 1030 today, Oliver will leave this world.

I will miss him.

It makes me sad. I love him. He was gonna be my new buddy now that Dad is gone. It just seems so odd to me that Oliver would come down with this right at the time Dad checked out. It seems like more than a coincidence.

Lord, please help me to adapt and figure things out.


3 comments:

  1. So sorry, Jeff. Our pets are a big part of our lives. Prayers for you during a difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff it hurt like a stupped toe to do this but it sounds like your right in your timing.
    I've been through this 2 times as well so I can empathize completely.
    Life is strange for sure but try and find excitement in the next door that's going to open. It may be soon or down the road but if you look for it.... You'll find it.
    Hug ...deb
    During the service I couldn't get over how well you fit at the pulpit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff it hurt like a stupped toe to do this but it sounds like your right in your timing.
    I've been through this 2 times as well so I can empathize completely.
    Life is strange for sure but try and find excitement in the next door that's going to open. It may be soon or down the road but if you look for it.... You'll find it.
    Hug ...deb
    During the service I couldn't get over how well you fit at the pulpit.

    ReplyDelete

Be Gentle.