Sunday, November 20, 2016

It's Gonna Be One Of Those Days...

Well, it's Sunday. Dad did not want to get into the shower and, man, did he need one. He said he did not feel like going to church, that he did not stink and that he was not going to take a shower.

Sheesh. He is 80 not 4. I'm thinking it's the Alzheimer's. He is like stage 6 out of 7. Where he is at in stage 6 is the question, but if last night is any indicator, he is getting close to 7.

He came down to my man cave with the dog last night after watching a TV show about computer fraud upstairs. He thought the whole thing had been real and that the people on the TV had been in the living room. He was all concerned about computer security and he was trying to call someone where he worked 17 years ago (and all of his adult life prior) to warn them. When I explained that it was a TV show, that it was not real and there was no one in the house, he wanted to know when they left. Once I got that in his head, he told me he wanted to get in his car and go home. I told him he was already home and that he had lived there since 1986. This was astounding news along with his retirement 17 years prior.

I finally got him sat back down and I changed the TV channel to a college football game. He settled down and dozed off. I went to bed and then woke this morning to his subtle refusal to go to church or even shower.

I'm not sure why Satan pushes him like this on Saturday nights. I know that when I pray about his craziness and ask God to drive Satan away, the 'sundowning' behavior always diminishes. For me, it's kind of a miracle actually. I praise God's name daily for what He does for my Dad.

Even so, it is feeling more and more like I am going to have to give someone else control of this situation. A retirement facility with an Alzheimer's unit may be required. I'm not sure how much longer I can do this. He is frustrated, and I am not getting any younger myself. I can barely lift him when he falls now. I know I will not be able to do it when I'm 65. I worry about leaving him alone in the house, even with a nurse. He can be a difficult, belligerent bully.  And I am just as bad...

I think he needs to be in a place with a staff that can cope with him. I know that once he is out of his home environment, he will not do as well, but he should not be there in his present state.

It's going to be a rough holiday season.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jeff, I've been through this, not exactly the same but dementia in a parent. If you ever want to talk, give me a call. I promise I won't give you advice, but I can tell you my story and how things got worked out in my family. By the way, my Mom did not deteriorate when she moved to a facility...she actually got better...you see, she was getting her meds regularly, eating better, and attending a lot of socialization activities. There is a saying, "Don't let the Alzheimer's take two victims." Praying for you both.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete

Be Gentle.